In the words of our founder, Kate, ❝bake these little nutty tea cakes off in yorkshire pudding/muffin trays and make a pot of tea for a simple yet perfect afternoon tea treat!❞
Makes one large round cake or lots of little ones
400g dried fruits
Zest of 1 large orange
1 large free-range egg
300g caster sugar
385g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
- soak the dried fruits and orange zest in the tea and infuse overnight or for at least 6 hours
- drain and save the liquid for later
- preheat the oven to 180C
- whisk egg and add to dried fruit with 2/3 of the caster sugar. Sieve the dry ingredients and add to the fruit, along with the juice of the orange. The mixture should be moist so add some of the reserved tea liquor if necessary.
- pour into a greased and lined large round cake tin or 2 muffin trays and bake for 25mins. Cover with foil and bake for a further 45mins. If necessary, bake until your skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before topping.
100g candied peel
100g flaked/chopped almonds
50g golden syrup
- melt golden syrup and add fruit and candied fruit. Simmer for 5 mins.
- allow to cool and pile sticky mixture on top of cakes
- put the kettle on, make a pot of tea and enjoy!